Popular Posts

Monday, April 14, 2014

At the Table with Sherry Hartmann


At The Table With Sherry Hartmann


Introducing one of my favorite freelance writers and people, Sherry Hartmann. Sherry is a mother of three who always amazes me with the wonder she injects into her daily life as she digs through the trenches with younger children. Sherry's vitality should come as no surprise. As a certified K-12 school teacher, the appreciation for all things great and small is evident in the way she writes, speaks and photographs the ordinary in an extraordinary way. Rock on, Wonder Woman. 
Enjoy the view through the lens of Sherry Hartmann here and in her delightful blog:


"Eat Your Veg" never sounded so good!

More Broccoli Please

by Sherry Hartmann


For me, a meal must have a side of veggies.  This is often a tough one with regard to kids.  My kids are pretty good...well my girls are anyway.  My son is a  problem when it comes to getting him to try vegetables.  Heck, he is difficult with any food aside from eggs, pizza, liver sausage sandwiches or broccoli.  I realize that is quite a kaleidoscope of foods.  He may have a sundry palate, but he is finicky all the same.  Thank goodness there is a vegetable in his list of acceptable foods though.  All of my kids love broccoli.  It was a chore to get them to try it initially, but once they sank their teeth into a succulent spear smothered in butter, they were hooked.  Here is a little poem I wrote about that experience.  I also put my poor kids through a 5 minute broccoli themed photo shoot for kicks.  Why? Why not?



More Broccoli Please

It’s six o’clock, it’s dinner time
Time to come in from playing outside
Wash your hands and set the table please
But I’m so hungry, I really must eat
My tummy is growling and my knees are weak
What’s for dinner? It smells good to me
Ham and potatoes and cottage cheese
And something green that looks like a tree
Say it ain’t so, it just can’t be
Oh no it’s broccoli!

I’m not hungry, I can’t eat
I really don’t like it, it smells like feet
Where’s the dog, he usually begs
I guess he’d rather have dog food instead
There it sits on my plate
The only thing I haven’t ate
Just one bite, that’s all mom asks
Maybe if I chew it really fast
What if I smother it in lots of butter
Perhaps then it might not make me shudder
Into my mouth goes the little green tree

Mmm mmm more broccoli please!


To read more from the mind of Sherry Hartmann you can follow her on her delightful blog:


No comments:

Post a Comment