Popular Posts

Thursday, April 10, 2014

No Shortage of Good Cooks in Da Family



 No Shortage of Good Cooks in Da Family


There is no shortage of good cooks in our family, and it's rare to talk to any one of us and not come away from the conversation with a taste for something that blows your mind. 

That's why when I thought about planning our first child's  high school graduation party, I knew exactly who I would call to cater the event.  My sister, Lisa, of course!



Lisa, her husband Kevin, and her son Kyle  have kept the same South Side magic in the recipes our parents started, and even added a few incredible additions to the stellar menu.  There is a magic ingredient in Lisa's veggie pasta salad that I refuse to reveal, but it's coming to the graduation party! 




So how did we all become so obsessed with good food? It was only a few short decades ago that Lisa and I laughed in the back of Enzo's Restaurant, her in her "Yes" t-shirt, me in my round owl glasses and pig tails, and slowly but surely polished off a half a pan of Enzo's Restaurant's World Famous Meatballs.  Not much has changed since then, except my sister's hair isn't feathered as much, and I have gotten contacts.  But we are still addicted to "world famous food".

Enter my kids who love to taunt me, "erm, Mom, why is everything you make have to be 'world famous'?" 
"Well, my dad is  from Italy, your dad is from Wales, I'm from Chicago, so BOOM, there's your world,"  I say with airtight logic.  


So today's blog is a tribute to my favorite (and only) sister, Lisa Hallberg.  Her catering team will help me be calm on my daughter's high school graduation day, which will leave me plenty of time to get tipsy, play the piano badly, and sing off key. Ahhh, with that kind of send off, why would anyone want to move out of the house?








No comments:

Post a Comment