Popular Posts

Thursday, September 11, 2014

Feeding the ADHD Brain in the Family

Feeding the ADHD Brain in the Family

With Links to ADHD Nutrition and Support Sites 


Toss cauliflower in olive oil, thyme, (parsley, tarragon, rosemary), garlic, salt and pepper, spread on baking sheet and roast at 375F for 35 min or until soft and gooey.




I'm not a professional chef, not a registered dietitian, and certainly am not a doctor or a nurse.

I do, however, have ADHD. And I love to write about my passion for food and healthy family meals.  

If you or your child have recently been diagnosed with ADHD, or you are just trying to figure out how to help in a supportive way, this blog is for you.  I certainly do NOT have all the answers. But I have done a fair bit of reading on the subject and have a few links I would like to share with you where you can explore your own trails, discover what clicks with your family, and find the best fit for your kitchen table meals. 

One of my favorite books on the subject of ADHD  is  Delivered From Distraction by Edward M. Hallowell, M.D., and John J. Ratey, M.D.. 

On the ADHD website  Additudemag.com, Dr Hallowell has some great suggestions on the power of nutrition including a link to the 10 foods, supplements, and herbs that I found very helpful.

 “Diet and nutrition play key roles in how well the ADD brain operates.” Toward that end, here are 10 foods, supplements, and herbs that you should add to your treatment plan. As always, talk with your doctor first before doing so." --from Attituedmag.com, full link below.
Follow the link to the full article on nutrition tips from Dr Hallowell: 


Hallowell advises filling half the plate with vegetables/fruit, a quarter protein, a quarter carbohydrate (preferably rich in fiber like whole wheat pasta, whole grain bread, brown rice.) He also talks a lot about the power of protein which can stabilize blood sugar and help with the hyperactive element of ADHD.

I have always been a big vegetable pusher in our family and never stop trying to find ways to easily prepare tons of veggies for our family. One of the easiest ways for me to supply a LOT of vegetables at once is to roast them in olive oil and fresh herbs. I can load two trays at once into a 375F oven and most importantly, I  can WORK while they cook!If you work at home, roasting can be one of the biggest time savers in the world. 

I usually pop them in before a phone meeting, or before I write, and in 30 minutes or so, they are done.  Most veggies can be drizzled or tossed in olive oil, not too crowded on a large baking sheet, sprinkled with dried or fresh herbs, and roasted at 350F-375F with salt, pepper, and maybe garlic if you like. Roast until soft. It's that easy. Asparagus takes less than 30 minutes, usually about 20.  Just pierce and taste. When they are soft, they are done!

Omega 3-fatty acids are one of the hottest topics in the field of nutrition in all areas, including ADHD support.  I prefer to get what I can from wholefoods, but there are supplements you can buy.  I knew salmon was loaded with Omega 3-fatty acids, but I was surprised to see a lot of my favorite vegetarian foods and vegetables were also on this list on the website titled "The Worlds Healthiest Foods": 

Click here for link to Omega-3 Fatty Acids on http://www.whfoods.com/


Here is another link to comprehensive list of  Omega-3 Fatty Acid Foods:




One of the best places to start if you have ADHD, or if you think you or your child has ADHD (including LOTS of links to other helpful blogs)  is the support site: 


For Dr.  Hallowell's site click here: 


For a good general start on ADHD nutrition tips, WEB MD has a good site with link to ADHD diets here:


Many people on ADHD medication suffer from loss of appetite due to the stimulant medication.  It can be difficult to eat when your tummy is so sore. I try to force myself to make critical choices in the morning, and will force myself to  have a complex carb with protein like high fiber cereal and yogurt, along with a piece of fruit if  I can tolerate it.  Sometimes I have to set a timer on my phone to remember to add a helping of protein at lunch, and this will often be a can of organic tuna from Wholefoods with sliced tomatoes or cucumbers.  

All of my recipes are posted almost daily on Renata's Kitchen on Facebook, and Renata's Kitchen Stories on my blog.  My website is currently under construction and I have a lot of wonderful people collaborating to deliver what I hope will be a soothing site to visit, relax and enjoy recipes and stories from the family kitchen table. 

Link to Renata's Kitchen on Facebook:


Link to Renata's Kitchen Stories Blog: 



Wholefoods 365 albacore tuna, 1-2 T  WF organic mayo, 1/2 tsp dijon mustard, organic capers, mix with tomatoes, cucumbers, and if desired, heap onto pile of spinach leaves or into organic whole or gluten free bread.

Wild Salmon fillet drizzled with olive oil, tarragon, sea salt and pepper roasts at 350F for about 20 minutes or until opaque.  Serve with roasted cauliflower tossed with white beans, fresh tomatoes, garden herbs, a squeeze of lemon, salt and pepper. Serve with whole grain rice, whole wheat pasta, or potatoes roasted in their skins. 

Toss organic whole wheat shells with escarole, cauliflower and vegan sausage sauteed in garlic, shallot and olive oil.

Me (Renee Gough, a.k.a., Renata) and my youngest daughter, Olivia
I hope this blog has been somewhat useful.  I know I don't have all the answers, but I do like to contribute when I can, especially if I feel it can help a parent or a child.

I hope you come visit me at the links above for recipes, stories and more.

Email me any time at renataskitchen@gmail.com.










No comments:

Post a Comment