Popular Posts

Monday, September 15, 2014

Monday Menus from Renata's Kitchen


Monday Menus September 15-19

I bled money this weekend after the purchase of a new laptop.  This week's menu is my attempt to recoup some of my losses! 



Monday:       Leftovers! 
      Giordano’s Stuffed Pizza
      Whole Wheat linguine
      Roasted veggies and salad

Tuesday:       Lentil and Vegetable Soup 
      Bread rolls, bread ends and butter
Wednesday: Renata’s Frittata (eggs baked with remaining leftover veggies, cheeses)
      Jake’s Country Meats Uncured (free range) Bacon

Thursday:    Renata’s Marinara (frozen from weekend)  with De Cecco mezzi rigatoni, 
     Maria Martucci’s Kale Salad with leftover Jake’s Country Meats Bacon

Friday:      The Eating Well’s Daniel 1:8 Veggie Burgers
     Sweet Potato Tots 






Tightening the old belt usually means a  legume laden week. Not a lot of meat here for my carnivore pals, sorry.  I love organic, free range, and Amish meats, and they are just not in the budget after Apple took a bite out of me.  

This week’s menu is dedicated to everyone who is trying to save a buck.  

In fact, every menu I plan has this goal in mind. When I plan menus, I am surprised by how much money it saves me, and how much waste it prevents.  I scour fridge, freezer and cupboards before planning, and use the ends and remains to create five menus (even if I end up caving by Friday it helps).

Menu planning forces me to use up all those loose vegetables at the bottom of the drawer and throw them into a soup where their tired little cells will be welcomed by olive oil, onion, garlic, tomatoes, beans, whatever is in the cupboard, to give them new life.  

Soups are also a great way to camouflage anything my kids don’t like. Nobody will notice a portobello mushroom once I blitz it with the hand held immersion blender. (Immersion blender detaches for easy clean up too!  A blender works well too. ). A nice hunk of bread with butter is a great sponge to mop up all those nutrients and can really fill up a hungry teenage boy, too. 

Early last week I was feeling rich and bought a dozen organic, free range eggs.  I am going to spend that impulse purchase on a Renata Fritatta, which is also a great dish for throwing in leftover bits of veggies, different cheese hunks that have seen better days, and a few herbs from the flower pot give it new life. I think there are even a couple of red tomatoes I can throw in the oven with the eggs that have not frozen on the vine in my back garden, but I planted them too close to the house, and so I am embarrassed to admit I am not getting much yield this year. 


If I do make it to Friday without going to the grocery store, it will be a miracle!

No comments:

Post a Comment